Sunday, September 22, 2013

Commitment

September 19th's reading in One Day At A Time In Al-Anon contained this daily reminder:
Any marriage made in expectation of lifelong bliss and freedom from care is bound to bring us some shocking realizations that life just isn't like that. An adult point of view recognizes that alcoholism and its train of troubles is only one of the disasters that can happen to a marriage. We would face others with courage; why not this? The commitment to the person we married demands that we do everything we can to correct our problems. What to do we learn in Al-Anon. How we use it is up to us.
My own vows to my husband included this promise:
I vow to always be an active participant in our marriage, even in our most trying times.
 A few weeks ago it was hard to remember that vow. Thanks to this reading and my renewed commitment to Al-Anon, I remember that my husband is worth this effort. A husband who will give me hugs and food when I wake up with an enormous headache is the kind of guy worth keeping. Sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am to have him and I never want to take him for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment