Sunday, September 23, 2012

Introduction

Hi, I'm Sal Anonymous. Obviously, that's not my real name. I've started this blog to track my recovery through Al-Anon, as someone whose life has been affected by someone else's addiction(s). Al-Anon is specifically for those who are affected by someone else's alcoholism. My situation is a little more complicated than that, in that my loved one suffers from sex addiction first and alcoholism second (hence the "S" part of "Sal").

Going to Al-Anon meetings (just 3 so far) has inspired me to focus more on my own recovery and personal health, as well as begin a relationship with a Higher Power (HP) of my understanding. As a longtime atheist, it's difficult for me to trust in a God-type figure, but so far I've caught myself praying when the going gets tough. That's a big step for me, and I'm excited to see where I take it from here.

The purpose of this blog is primarily to help me reflect on the lessons I learn from Al-Anon and any other recovery group meetings I attend. If someone comes across my blog and is able to use it as a resource, then I'm happy. As they say, "take what you like and leave the rest."

Only a handful of people know the extent of my situation. My family is completely in the dark, as it is my fiancé who is the addict. I know, you might read that and think automatically that I should leave him, but this is not a place for judgment. This blog is about my own personal journey and all I ask is that you respect my autonomy as much as I will try to respect yours.

Yours in recovery,
Sal Anonymous

I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Addiction Blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment